In the springtime, the sun is beginning to appear higher in our sky, so the temperatures are warming up. When the temperatures warm, a very interesting thing happens to the moisture in our air. Instead of falling to the ground in frozen flakes, it falls in drops of rain! We love to get rain in the spring because it waters the earth and helps all of our plants begin to grow again, not to mention it also makes puddles that are awfully fun to splash in.
As I look outside this morning, the sky looks like it might be threatening to rain later today or tomorrow. While you are waiting for it to rain outside, you can make your own rain cloud at home inside!. Just follow the directions below:
MAking it rain indoors
- A clear glass container to hold your cloud (a circular container such as a fish bowl would work best, but you could also use a large mason jar)
- A can of inexpensive shaving cream (check out the dollar store)
- An extra glass to hold your water vapor mixture
- Blue food coloring
- An eye dropper or turkey baster
1. Fill your clear container ½ or ¾ full of water.
2. Squirt your shaving cream cloud on top of this water. Feel free to make a big cloud!
3. Mix blue food coloring with water in your second glass. Use a lot of food coloring to make sure you’ll be able to see the rain as it falls.
4. Take your eye dropper or turkey baster and slowly squirt your water vapor mixture into the cloud.
5. Try to guess how much water vapor the cloud will hold before it gets too heavy and rain begins to fall!
It's not every day that you see a rain cloud inside your house!